CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, May 26, 2008

Breakfast Casserole

This was the recipe I used for Emily's baby shower on May 24. Let's just say I ate like half of it myself... It's really similar to Heather's quiche (posted May 14).

It's a really easy one because you can just make it however you like it. I use bacon with a mixture of mozzarella, mild cheddar, and colby jack cheese. I think next time I'll add it some mushrooms too.
Breakfast Casserole

Serves: 8-10
Time: 1 hour

Ingredients:

1 large (30 oz) bag of frozen hashbrowns (shredded potatoes)
1 cup butter
4 cups cheese (any combination)
1 lb. (2 cups) bacon or sausage
6 eggs
2 cups half & half
1 tsp salt

Directions:

Thaw hashbrowns and pack into the bottom of a 9x13 pan (make like a crust). Melt 1 cup butter and pour over the top of hashbrowns. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees. While the cust is baking, cook the meat. Drain excess grease, and mix with the 4 cups of cheese. Put meat and sasage mixture over the cooked hashbrowns crust. Whisk the half & Half, eggs, and salt together. Pour over the entire casserole. Bake at 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes or until the casserole looks set and starts to brown.

2 comments:

My_Kids_Mum said...

Lizzy,
I LOOOOOOOOOVE this recipe. I love vegies and I add them to most of my breakfast casseroles (this is how I get my kids to eat vegies for breakfast... lol),and mushrooms are excellent in this dish. For something a little more healthier, you can replace half & half with low-fat sour cream. I have quite a few simple breakfast cass. recipes that you can prep ahead of time and freeze for later use, that saves a lot of time and are very delish. I got my recipes from my RS when we made them for the food bank as part of our humanitarian project. I bet Emily's babyshower was a blast. Now, I'm starving...

Anonymous said...

I actually like this dish BECAUSE it doesn't have mushrooms. This is great because you could add or take away to your liking. Thanks I'm always scrounging for this sort of thing for showers and get togethers.